- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup club soda, chilled
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 2 large carrots, sliced into small sticks
- 1 Idaho potato, sliced into small sticks
- 1 onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Wasabi Garlic Mayonnaise, for dipping
In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Add the egg yolk and club soda last. Whisk to form a smooth batter.
Preheat the peanut oil to 375 degrees in a heavy pot or deep fryer.
Dip the vegetables in the batter, shaking off excess. Then fry in small batches for about 2-3 minutes until puffy, golden, and cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Serve the tempura with Wasabi Garlic Mayonnaise for dipping.