Swiss Chard Tacos with Caramelized Onion, Fresh Cheese, and Red Chile
The renowned chef known for his Mexican cooking puts a healthy spin on one of the cuisine's staples. These tacos help you get your daily dose of vegetables with Swiss chard and white onion.
- 12 Ounces Swiss chard, thick lower stems cut off
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon chile flakes
- 1/2 Cup chicken broth
- 12 warm corn tortillas, store-bought
- 3/4 Cups salsa
- 1 Cup crumbled Mexican queso fresco, or feta
Cut the chard crosswise into ½-inch slices. In a very large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until browned but still crunchy, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and the chile flakes and stir for a few seconds until aromatic, then add the broth, ½ teaspoon of salt, and the greens. Reeduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and cook until the greens are almost tender, about 5 minutes.
Uncover the pan, raise the temperature to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is nearly dry. Taste and season with additional salt if necessary. Serve with warm tortillas, salsa, and crumbled cheese.