Sweets 'n Beans Chili Recipe
This quick and easy vegetarian chili is tasty, healthy and will also satisfy your hankering for something slightly sweet, thanks to the addition of fiber-rich sweet potatoes and cinnamon. I like my chili with a bit of a kick so I added three jalapeños. If you have a more mild palate, you can substitute in a julienned bell pepper.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, quartered and sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 jalapeños, halved, de-seeded, and sliced thin
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½-inch chunks
- ½ teaspoon cumin, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 26 ounces tomato purée
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable stock (you can also use chicken)
- One 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- Zest of 1 orange (optional)
- Lemon juice, to taste (optional)
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Cheddar cheese, grated, for garnish
Heat oil in saucepan over high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the jalapeños and cook until they are tender. Add the sweet potatoes and cook 5 minutes or so. Add spices and seasonings and stir. Add in tomatoes, water, and stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cooking about 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are almost tender.
Add the beans and bring back to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened and the potatoes are very tender. Taste for seasoning, adjusting as needed, and add in the optional orange zest and lemon juice if you wish. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro, sour cream, and grated cheese.