- 2 Pounds carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch slices
- 2 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 Cup fresh orange juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a large saucepan, set over medium heat, combine carrots, broth, sugar, and salt. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, until the carrots are very tender. Drain the carrots, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking liquid.
In a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, warm up the olive oil. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Add everything to a food processor and purée until smooth, scraping down the sides to make sure everything is combined. For a smoother purée, add 2 tablespoons of the reserved cooking liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.