- 13 Ounces baby potatoes, chopped
- 7 Ounces salmon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 7 Ounces cod (or other whitefish), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 leek, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 Cup fish stock
- 5/6 Cups cream
- 1 Cup white wine
- 1/2 Cup water, adding more if necessary
- 1/2 Cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons fresh tarragon or thyme, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 Pinches of saffron
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In salted water, boil cubed potatoes until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat butter on medium-high.
Add sliced leeks, chopped onions, and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent — approximately 5-6 minutes.
Add tomato paste and stir to incorporate evenly.
Add fresh herbs (tarragon or thyme and basil).
Add all your liquids (stock, wine, cream, and crème fraîche) and saffron. Bring to a simmer.
Remove from heat and blend in a mixer until smooth.
Return the mixture to your saucepan and medium-high heat.
At this point, taste your base and season with salt and pepper accordingly.
Add fish pieces to the soup.
Your fish should only take about 5 minutes to cook throughly.
Add potatoes, mix thoroughly.
Season one last time to taste.
Serve with fresh herbs and a healthy dollop of aïoli.