Spinach Salad with Mango Vinaigrette
Not all spinach salads are created equal, as this recipe shows. This is so easy to prepare and pays dividends in flavor. Toasted cashews add a pleasant richness and provide a protein boost, while ripe mangos add a pleasant sweetness to this salad.
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Cup roughly chopped raw cashews or walnuts
- 3 Tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 lime, halved
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 Cups baby spinach
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and chopped into 1/4-inch cubes
In a fine-meshed sieve or colander, mix the onion with ½ teaspoon of the salt. Set aside for 5 minutes, then rinse under cold water. Transfer to paper towels.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the cashews and cook, shaking the pan often, until the cashews are golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Stir in ½ teaspoon of the salt and turn out onto a large plate to cool.
In a salad bowl, whisk together the mango chutney, oil, remaining salt, and the juice of ½ lime. Season with pepper, to taste. Add the onion, spinach, and cashews and toss to coat. Sprinkle the mangos over the salad, squeeze the remaining ½ lime over the top, gently toss, and serve.