- 2 Pounds wild-caught Gulf shrimp, poached
- 1/3 Cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped celery
- 1 Cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 3/4 Cups peeled, seeded, and chopped cucumber
- 1 Teaspoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño
- 2 Teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 Teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/3 Cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus 1/4 cup for serving, if desired
- Juice of 5 limes (about 1 cup)
- Juice of 2 lemons (about 1/2 cup)
- Juice of 1 orange (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon sugar
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced (optional)
- 2 limes, quartered (optional)
Chop the shrimp into thirds or bite-size pieces, or leave them whole if you prefer, and place in a large bowl.
Add the red onion, celery, tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeño, garlic, ginger, cilantro, lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice, olive oil, salt, white pepper, and sugar and stir well.
Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate overnight. While the mixture marinates, occasionally turn the container to evenly coat the shrimp in the liquid.
Transfer the shrimp and liquid to a glass bowl to serve or divide among eight martini glasses. If desired, garnish with avocado, cilantro, and lime.
Adapted from Gumbo Love by Lucy Buffett (Grand Central, 2017)