Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini
Some people only think of sautéeing these vegetables with a little butter, but this recipe shows us how far the two can go when cooked with fresh basil, Parmesan cheese, and toasted pine nuts. Perfect as a salad or as a side dish to your holiday meal.
- 1 Cup spaghetti squash
- 1 Cup julienned zucchini, with skin on
- 1/2 Cup broccoli florets, blanched
- 1/2 Cup julienned roasted red pepper
- 1 Teaspoon chiffonade basil
- 1/4 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1 Teaspoon sweet butter
- 1 Teaspoon each salt and white pepper
- 1 Tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- 1 Tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Cup plum tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle at the end of dish
Heat a sauté pan to medium high and add the water and olive oil to bring to a simmer. Add the red peppers and zucchini and cook for 2 minutes. Add spaghetti squash, broccoli, and cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper and cook 2 minutes. Add the butter until melted, and then add basil. In second sauté pan, heat the plum sauce to a simmer. Sauce can be held warm. Spoon the tomato sauce into a pasta bowl, making a large circle in the middle of the plate. Mound the spaghetti squash mixture, very high, in the middle of the plate. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pine nuts. Drizzle oil over the top and around the dish and serve.