Lentils are packed with protein, which is perfect for vegetarians in need of that essential nutrient. Plus, when lentils are slow cooked for hours in flavorful spices like curry, they taste pretty darn good, too.
Click here for more recipes from The Healing Tomato.
- 1 Cup of lentils (You can soak them overnight for better results. This is not necessary)
- 1 Cup of pinto beans (fresh will be better, but, you can use the canned version)
- 3 tiny white potatoes or one big white potato
- 2 small purple potatoes
- 1/2 Cup of finely chopped red onions
- 1 Cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon shredded ginger
- 1 Teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric
- 5 -6 seeds of mustard
- 1 Teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon cumin powder
- 4 -5 curry leaves
- 1 Cup tomato puree (canned or fresh)
- 2 Teaspoons of vegetable or olive oil
- 1/4 Cup of water
- 3 Teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
In a medium sauce pan, add the oil and warm it at low heat.
Add both mustard seeds and allow the black mustard seeds to pop.
Add the cumin seeds.
Add the turmeric and cayenne pepper.
Add the ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
Add the curry leaves followed immediately by water and tomato puree.
Heat for a couple minutes and then remove from heat.
Turn on your slow cooker and allow it warm up for about 5 minutes.
Add the tomato puree with all the spices into the slow cooker
Add the lentils and pinto beans
Stir well once and then allow it to cook on its own for 4-5 hours.
After 5 hours, open the lid and stir. Add more water, if needed.
Add the cherry tomatoes and cook uncovered for the next 2 hours.
Stir it occasionally.
Remove from the slow cooker and serve with naan or rice.