- 2 chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
- 32 Ounces chicken broth
- 1 fourteen and a half ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 eight ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 fifteen ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- Handful of fresh cilantro
- Salt, to taste
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Avocado, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Tortilla strips, for garnish, optional
Place chicken breasts in a slow cooker. Pour everything except for the garnish ingredients over the chicken. Stir the ingredients and slow cook on high for 3 1/2 hours.
Carefully remove chicken breasts, remove and discard the skin. Use a fork to separate the meat from the bones and use two forks to shred the chicken.
Add the shredded meat back to the soup and cook on high for 30 minutes more.
Ladle soup into a bowl, squeeze a lime wedge over each serving, and top with fresh cilantro and sliced avocado. And if you’re one of the normal people that likes tortilla strips on your tortilla soup, go ahead and make that happen too.