I love soup season. The delicious aroma of a slow-cooked soup when I come home is one of the most delicious and comforting smells in the world. It doesn’t matter what kind of day I had, because all is right when I step through the door and my home smells of dinner.
This soup is our go-to. Spicy, scrumptious tortilla soup. Which we have coined “sans tortilla soup” since we never actually put any tortillas in it. I am not a big fan of the added tortilla chip that gets all soggy in the soup. I do love the combination of flavors, spicy kicks of chili powder, green chiles, and enchilada sauce, with smoky cumin, slow-cooked chicken, and hearty diced tomatoes. Delicious!
- 6 -8 frozen chicken tenderloins, thawed
- Two 14-ounce cans black beans, drained
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 8-ounce can green enchilada sauce
- One 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- One 32-ounce box low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cumin
- 2 chipotle chili powder
- 1 hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
In a large slow cooker, combine all of the ingredients and set to low. Cook for 5 hours and then shred the chicken. Cook for another 30 minutes and serve immediately.