Slow-Cooker Pork with Apple Sauerkraut
National Pork Board
This is a slow-cooker recipe featuring pork spareribs and apples — a perfect soul-warming combination.
- 4 Pounds pork spareribs, trimmed to fit into slow-cooker, cut into two-rib portions
- 1 Teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 small red potatoes, sliced one fourth inch thick
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 Pound package refrigerated sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 small red apples, cored and sliced one fourth inch thick
- 1/2 Cup apple cider
- 4 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 Teaspoon caraway seeds, coarsely crushed
In large nonstick skillet brown ribs in oil over high heat. Place in 3 1/2-4-quart slow-cooker with potatoes, onion, sauerkraut, and apples. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over. Cook, covered, on Low 6-8 hours (or on high for 3-4 hours).