How great would it be to wake up on a busy morning and have breakfast already cooked? You could slow down and eat at home or pack up a bowl of this multi-grain porridge to take to work with you. With a slow-cooker, it can happen.
— Shelby Kinnaird
Click here for more recipes from the Diabetic Foodie.
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup polenta or corn grits (not instant)
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1/2 cup whole-grain barley
- cinnamon (optional)
- almond milk (optional)
- fresh berries or frozen berries, thawed (optional)
- sliced almonds or walnuts (optional)
Combine oats, rice, millet, barley, wild rice, grits, flaxseed, salt and water in slow-cooker. Cover and cook on low, overnight, for 8 hours.
Stir well and serve with cinnamon, almond milk, berries and/or nuts, if desired.
Let leftover porridge cool, then store in refrigerator. Scoop out a serving and heat in microwave for breakfast another day.