A little prep makes for a delicious, hearty, slow-cooked comfort meal that will warm you up on a cold day. It’s great to serve over polenta, or try serving the shredded pork on hoagie buns or in a baked tortilla shell; it’s perfect for a game day party.
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 boneless pork shoulder (2 to 2 1/2 lb), trimmed of fat
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pouch (9 oz) fire-roasted tomato cooking sauce, such as Progresso Recipe Starters
Spray 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook 7 to 8 minutes or until browned on all sides. Place pork in slow cooker.
Add onions, garlic and celery to skillet; cook over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. Stir in Italian seasoning and cooking sauce; cook 2 minutes. Pour mixture into slow cooker, covering pork.
Cover; cook on High heat setting 4 to 5 hours or until pork is tender.
Remove pork from slow cooker to plate or cutting board. Shred pork, using 2 forks; discard any fat. Return pork to slow cooker; stir to coat with sauce. If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper.