A cold soup that can be prepared ahead of time is an ideal start to dinner on Fire Island — or whichever beach you call home.
- 1/2 loaf yesterday's French bread
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3/4 Cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 Pounds tomatoes, preferably local, seeded and cut into large chunks (8-12 tomatoes)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 1 Italian frying pepper, cut into large pieces
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 medium-sized Spanish onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 Cup sherry vinegar
- Chopped tomatoes, green bell pepper, and onion, for garnish
Using your hands, break the bread into big chunks and soak in a bowl of water for 10 minutes.
Squeeze the excess water out of the bread and transfer to the bowl of a food processor. Add the garlic and oil and process until smooth. Add the tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, onion, salt, and cumin. Process until you achieve a smooth consistency. Add the vinegar and process for 30 seconds. Blend in 1 ½-2¼ cups cold water, depending on the desired consistency, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
To serve, divide the gazpacho among 8 bowls and garnish with chopped tomatoes, green pepper, and onion.