Shredded Rainbow Salad
There are simple, easy ways to spice up your salad, and they don’t involve high caloric additives or heavy dressings. To switch up your salad routine, think of your salad as layers, and work to improve each layer so that you don’t overdo the whole thing. Whether it’s starting with the base by choosing something different than regular old iceberg lettuce, or choosing a variety of colorful vegetables for your second, by thinking about a salad in layers, it’s easy to make it fun and impressive.
- 2 Cups shredded greens, any variety of lettuce, or spinach
- 1/4 Cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 Cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 Cup shredded broccoli stem
- 1/4 Cup chopped pineapple, drained
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or grapeseed oil
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts
In a large bowl, add the greens, cabbage, carrots, and broccoli and toss well. Next add the pineapple and toss once more. In a separate bowl, add the oil. Slowly whisk in the lime juice into the olive oil until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss the salad with the dressing, then add the macadamia nuts and toss once more before serving.