- 1 bunch smooth or curly kale (about 8 ounces)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 Teaspoon brown or yellow mustard seeds
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ Cup diced California pitted dried plums
- 1 Teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ Cup toasted unsweetened flaked coconut
Remove the stems from the kale and discard. Cut or tear the kale into bite-sized pieces; wash and drain (do not dry in a salad spinner; there should be some moisture clinging to the leaves).
In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds; when they start to pop, add the cumin seeds and toss for a few seconds. Add the dried plums, ginger and pepper flakes; after the ginger sizzles for a few seconds, add the kale. Cover the skillet and cook until the kale wilts but is still bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and mix well. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the coconut before serving.