Rosemary Almond Cake with Olive Oil and Orange Zest
This light yet intensely flavorful cake is a perfect finishing point to your Passover meal. Horwich used inspiration from a Sienese-countryside fantasy to concoct a recipe that uses traditional and flavorful Italian staples.
- 8 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 4 Cups almond meal, or finely ground blanched almonds
- 1/2 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Cup 2 percent Greek yogurt
- 1/2 Cup raw honey, a little less if not using raw
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped rosemary
- Zest of 2 blood oranges, chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt for 3 minutes. Add the honey to eggs and beat for another 3 minutes. Fold in the almond meal, olive oil, yogurt, zest, and rosemary.
Pour the cake batter into a 9-inch spring form cake pan that is well oiled with extra-virgin olive oil. Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake rest on a rack and then carefully remove it from the cake pan, using a knife to peel away from the bottom.