Romesco is a delicious Spanish sauce that is spiced with paprika and made with roasted peppers and crunchy toasted almonds or hazelnuts.
This romesco sauce from Kitchen Frau is a perfect accompaniment to grilled meat, seafood, and vegetables. You can really make it your own by adding more or less spice depending on your preference. The texture can also be your choice — make it as smooth or as chunky as you like!
- 2 large red bell peppers, roasted until soft with skins and seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 Cup cup toasted almonds (or half hazelnuts)
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon smoked paprika (mild or hot)
- 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
Place all ingredients into a food processor and purée to a chunky paste, or process further to a smooth sauce if preferred.