Rocco DiSpirito’s Tuna Crudo
These tuna bites are fresh and flavorful. Yellowfin tuna harmonizes with lemon, olive oil, and peppers, making this dish the pinnacle of Italian simplicity.
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- One 8-ounce loin sushi-grade yellowfin tuna, cut into 1/4-inch, domino-sized slices
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 Teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon brine from capers or caper berries
- 1 Tablespoon chopped jarred hot Italian chiles, such as Victoria
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Brush the centers of four round appetizer plates with olive oil, then very lightly sprinkle these with salt. Lay the tuna slices over the seasoned olive oil. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, caper brine, and chilies. Spoon this mixture evenly over each slice of tuna. Drizzle the top of each plate with the remaining olive oil. Season the tuna with salt and pepper. Let it stand for 2 to 4 minutes, depending on your desired texture, then serve it immediately.