- 3 Tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons kosher or sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Teaspoons black pepper
- 2 Teaspoons roasted cumin
- 2 Teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 Teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Teaspoon ground coriander
- 12-14 Pounds whole turkey, such as Butterball®, thawed if frozen
- 6 Tablespoons canola oil
Combine the sugar, salt, chili powder, black pepper, cumin, garlic powder, red pepper, and coriander. Blend well. (May be prepared 2 to 3 days in advance. Store the mixture in an airtight container at room temperature.)
Remove the neck and giblets from the body and neck cavity of the turkey; refrigerate for another use or discard. Turn the wings back to hold the neck skin in place. Return the legs to the tucked position, if untucked. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a flat rack in a shallow roasting pan.
Brush the outside of the turkey with half of the oil; rub the outside and inside cavity with the spice mixture. Cover and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Brush the spiced turkey with remaining 3 teaspoons of oil. Bake until a meat thermometer reaches 180 degrees F when inserted in the thickest part of the thigh, about 3 hours. Remove the turkey from the oven.
Let the turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.