When having friends over, we suggest stirring things up with a creamy risotto with arugula, radicchio and just the right touch of fruity sweetness from dried plums. This easy, elegant recipe is sure to be a winner at your house, too. Recipe courtesy of California Dried Plum Board.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1½ Cup Arborio rice
- 1 Teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ Cup white wine
- 6 Cups hot low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Cup coarsely chopped arugula
- 1 Cup coarsely chopped radicchio
- 1 Cup (about 6 ounces) quartered California pitted dried plums
- ½ Cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 Teaspoon grated Meyer lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground balck pepper
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the rice and garlic; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until the rice is hot. Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the wine; stir until wine is absorbed. Add the chicken broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently and letting each addition be absorbed before adding the next addition. When the rice is tender and creamy, stir in the arugula, radicchio, dried plums, grated cheese, and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper. Portion into 6 shallow bowls and garnish with the shaved cheese.