- 1 box yellow cake mix
- Water as specified on cake mix box
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Cup butter, such as Country Crock® spread, divided
- 1 Tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 package (eight ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 Ounces confectioners sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line 24 muffin cups with paper cupcake liners; set aside.
Beat cake mix, water, cocoa powder, eggs, 1/2 cup Country Crock® spread, and food coloring in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Evenly spoon batter into prepared pans.
Bake 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans and cool completely.
Beat cream cheese, remaining 1/2 cup spread, and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Beat in confectioners sugar on low speed until blended. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Spread on cooled cupcakes.