This utterly delicious and sophisticated mojito is topped with champagne or sparkling wine instead of club soda. I serve it with no ice, so as not to dilute the delicious bubbles.
- 1/2 large lemon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 6 large mint leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 3 teaspoons organic sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries, plus extra for garnish
- 3 ounces white rum
- 3/4 ounces raspberry liqueur
- Champagne or sparkling wine
Place the lemon, mint leaves, and sugar in a mixing glass. Using a muddler, crush the ingredients until the sugar has dissolved and the lemon has released its juice. Add the raspberries and continue to muddle until the raspberries are well mashed and have released their juices. Top with ice cubes, rum, and liqueur. Shake vigorously until very cold.
Strain the mixture into two champagne glasses. Top with a little champagne or sparkling wine (the proportion should be 3 parts mixer to 1 part champagne). Garnish each glass with a fresh raspberry and a mint leaf threaded through a cocktail pick. Serve immediately.