If you have a craving for Southwestern cuisine but feel like you can never capture the zest you get from an authentic restaurant, Del Monte products are here to prove you wrong. One can of Del Monte Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes with Chipotle Chilies can transform your average dish into a fiesta. Their recipe for Ranchero Chicken & Rice will make you feel like you just stepped south of the border without ever leaving your kitchen.
Make It Your Own: If avocado is too boring for you, why not take your sort-of-homemade dish to the next level with a sort-of homemade guacamole. It’s simple to make: a ripe avocado, a spoonful of premade salsa, diced chile peppers, a crushed clove of garlic, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice all whipped together and it's done in no time.
- 1 Pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- One 14.5-ounce can Del Monte Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes with Chipotle Chilies, undrained
- One 15.25-ounce can Del Monte Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 1 Cup chicken broth, preferably with 50 percent less sodium
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 Cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 3/4 Cups light sour cream
- 1/4 Cup chopped cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced (optional)
Season the chicken with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in the tomatoes, corn, broth, chili powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon of oil.
Serve topped with sour cream, cilantro, and avocado, if desired.