Recipe Courtesy of Jainaba Jeng, Kitchens of Africa.
- One 12-ounce jar Kitchens of Africa Yassa sauce
- 1 1/2 Cup uncooked white or red quinoa
- 1 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 Cup frozen corn (roasted, frozen if available; thawed)
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 2 large avocados
Pour the water into a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add quinoa and oil; stir. Bring to a boil and immediately turn down to a low simmer. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa is soft and tender
While quinoa is cooking, prepare the other ingredients. Peel and cut avocado into ½-inch chunks, squeeze juice of ½ lime juice on to it, gently tossing to coat all the pieces. This will prevent it from darkening and oxidizing. Store in the refrigerator for later use.
Pour the Yassa sauce into a large mixing bowl; add bell peppers, black beans, corn, cilantro and juice of remaining lime. Toss together and test for salt.
When the quinoa is done cooking, remove from heat source and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add to the bowl of seasoned vegetables. Toss together well. Fold in the avocados. Serve at room temperature or use as a side dish for baked chicken or salmon.