While cooking the other waffles, keep the prepared waffles warm in 200 degree F oven.
- 1 Cup Belgian waffle mix, such as Krusteaz
- ¾ Cup low-fat buttermilk
- ½ Cup wheat germ, such as Kretschmer Honey Crunch Wheat Germ
- ¼ Cup canned pumpkin
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- Maple syrup, jam, or powdered sugar, for serving
Preheat a waffle iron. If using a nonstick waffle iron, no oil is necessary. If using one that requires greasing, follow manufacturer’s instructions.
In large mixing bowl, whisk together the waffle mix, buttermilk, wheat germ, pumpkin, vegetable oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, and egg until combined. Add ⅓ of the batter to the center of the preheated waffle iron. Close the lid and cook according to the waffle maker instructions, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a fork, gently remove the waffle from the iron. Repeat for the remaining waffles.
Serve waffles with maple syrup, jam or a sprinkle of powdered sugar.