- 4 Cups all-natural chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 2 Cups Arborio rice
- 1 Cup sherry wine
- 1 Cup pure canned pumpkin
- ½ Cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ½ Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Pound jumbo shrimp, raw (16 to 20 count), shelled and deveined
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, optional
Pour the chicken broth into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Adjust the heat to keep the broth hot. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir well to coat. Add the wine and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Start to add the chicken broth, about ½ cup at a time, stirring frequently. Allow the rice to absorb the broth before adding the next ½ cup.
When all the broth has been added and absorbed (this should take about 20 minutes), stir in the pumpkin, cheese, and nutmeg. Reduce the heat to low.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the risotto evenly between plates or pasta bowls and top with the shrimp. Sprinkle with the parsley as desired.