The pulled turkey filling for these sandwiches freezes very well. Try doubling the recipe and freezing any leftovers. Before serving, simply thaw the filling in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed and chopped
- 3 Cups coarsely chopped leftover cooked BUTTERBALL® turkey
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ Cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ Teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- ⅛ Teaspoon salt
- 4 hamburger buns
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery; cook and stir until tender, 5 minutes.
Stir in the turkey, tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chile powder, and salt. Cover and simmer until the turkey is fork-tender and the mixture is heated through, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Remove the turkey from the sauce; coarsely shred with two forks. Serve the turkey on buns with sauce.