- 4 large fresh porcini mushrooms
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh black truffle or black truffle paste
- 2 Tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel, cut into 1/4-inch-thick matchsticks
- 2 bunches watercress (about 3 loose cups)
- Freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano (optional)
Prepare a charcoal grill or preheat a broiler.
Carefully cut each mushroom in half and place on the grill or on a baking sheet under the broiler. Cook, turning often until charred and softened, about 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the shallots, chopped truffle, balsamic vinegar, and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Using a fork or whisk, slowly stir in the olive oil. Season with additional salt, to taste.
Mix the fennel and watercress in a large bowl and divide into 4 serving bowls. Remove the hot mushrooms from the heat and place in each bowl. Shave the cheese onto each salad, if using. Drizzle the truffle vinaigrette on top of each salad and serve.