- 1 masonry brick, covered in heavy-duty foil
- 1 organic poulet chicken, backbone removed
- 1 Teaspoon fresh organic sage, finely chopped
- 1 garlic organic clove, minced
- 1 organic lemon, zested
- 1/4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat grill for indirect heat. Chicken will take about 45 minutes. After removing backbone, butterfly chicken and press firmly to dislocate breastbone for better flatness.
Mix herbs with oil in a bowl and coat chicken. Set aside while grill is heating, 30 minutes is fine. When grill is hot and coals are set for indirect cooking, place chicken skin side down on grill. Place foil-covered brick or heavy skillet on top.
Cover grill and cook for about 20 minutes. Check temperature. While 150 degrees is the goal, the bird should not be there yet. Turn bird over and replace brick or skillet. Cover grill. Keep grill temperature about 400 degrees.
When internal chicken temperature reaches 150 degrees, remove bird, and let rest. The temperature will increase about 10 degrees while resting. Portion chicken and serve. Enjoy!