This is the best kind of comfort food — the kind that cooks itself. Just throw everything in the pot and come back later. Slow Cooker: It’s almost like magic.
- 2 medium-sized carrots, chopped
- 2 medium-sized stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 medium-sized cloves garlic, minced
- 2 dry lentils
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 salt, or to taste
- 1/4 black pepper, or to taste
- 8 canned chicken broth
- 4 Canadian-style bacon, diced
Place all of the ingredients in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker in the following order: carrots, celery, onion, garlic, lentils, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper, and broth. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 6 hours. Uncover, stir in the bacon and heat for 30 more minutes. Remove the bay leaves and serve.