PointsPlus Balsamic Asparagus and Cherry Tomato Salad
When working with an ingredient like asparagus, it's best not to mess around with it too much. Here, a little balsamic vinegar and some fresh orange juice help the clean flavors of asparagus shine, and cherry tomatoes add a little sweetness and tang.
- 1 1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened orange juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook the asparagus just until tender, about 4-6 minutes. (Or microwave the asparagus on high for about 2-3 minutes.) Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
Plunge the asparagus into the ice bath to stop them from cooking. Drain and place on a serving platter. Top with the tomatoes.
In a cup, stir together the vinegar, orange juice, and garlic and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon the dressing over the asparagus and tomatoes. Top with the cheese and serve.