- 1 Cup dried couscous
- 1/2 Cup boiling vegetable broth
- 6 limes
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, visible fat removed, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 –1 1/2 teaspoons piri piri seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large orange bell peppers, seeded
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 a hothouse cucumber, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium handful of roughly chopped fresh mint
- Juice of 2 lemons
If you're using bamboo skewers, put them in water to soak.
Put the couscous in a serving bowl, pour in the broth, cover and let stand for 5 minutes, or until the broth has been absorbed.
Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Line a broiler-pan rack or rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Juice 4 of the limes, cut the remaining 2 limes into 4 wedges each.
In a large bowl, toss the chicken pieces with the piri piri seasoning, lime juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
Cut 2 of the bell peppers into 1-inch chunks and set aside. Coarsely chop the remaining bell pepper and add to the couscous.
On 8 metal or soaked bamboo skewers, thread the chicken, cherry tomatoes and bell pepper chunks, alternating the pieces and dividing them equally. Add a lime wedge to each skewer. Arrange the skewers on the lined pan.
Broil 4–6 inches from the heat source for 5–6 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are starting to soften and char lightly.
With a fork, fluff the couscous. Add the diced tomatoes, cucumber, mint, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the couscous salad with the chicken skewers.