- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups pine nuts, walnuts, or pistachios, chopped finely
- About ½ cup fig jam, or another jam of choice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease or spray cookie sheets. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, honey, and vanilla on medium speed until light, about 2 minutes. On low speed, gradually beat in the flour until just mixed. Stir in 1 cup of the nuts. The dough will be stiff.
Pinch off pieces of the dough and roll between your palms into walnut-sized balls. Place on the prepared cookie sheets, spacing them about 1 ½ inches apart.
Bake in the center of the oven until firm to the touch and just golden on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly, then make an indentation in the center of each cookie using your thumb, the handle of a large spoon, or a clothespin. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Fill the indentation in each cookie with about ½ teaspoon of the jam. Then sprinkle the jam-filled centers evenly with the remaining nuts.