- 4 Tablespoons salted butter (preferably Tillamook), softened at room temperature
- 1 Teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 Cup no-sugar-added apple butter
- 1/4 caramelized onions
- 1/4 Cup stone-ground mustard (such as Sierra Nevada Stout Mustard)
- 8 slices fresh artisanal levain bread (or another country-style bread)
- 8 slices white Cheddar cheese, preferably Tillamook Vintage Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Pound high-quality smoked ham, thinly sliced (such as Vande Rose Artisanal Smoked Ham)
Cream together butter and minced rosemary.
To make the apple butter: In a blender or small food processor, blend together apple butter, caramelized onions, and mustard until smooth.
Assemble the sandwiches by spreading the rosemary butter on 1 side of each slice of bread. Place bread butter-side-down.
Spread apple mustard on the inside of one slice of bread for each sandwich. Layer 1 slice of Cheddar on each of the 4 slices of bread, then ham, then another layer of Cheddar.
Cook sandwiches open face on a pre-heated cast-iron pan in a 500 degrees F oven, then closed and served. Or they can be closed, then cooked in a pan on a stovetop over medium-low heat until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.