- 1 Pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 Pound penne rigate
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1/2 Cup cooking oil
- 1/2 Cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for garnish
- 8 Ounces black trumpet mushrooms
- 1 Cup white truffle oil
- Fresh thyme, to taste
- 3 Tablespoons chopped scallions, for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Season the cremini mushrooms to taste and sauté them in ¼ cup of the cooking oil until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
Cook the penne al dente in a large pot of boiling salted water for about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta (do not rinse with water) and pour the rest of the oil over the pasta to prevent sticking.
Clean the black trumpet mushrooms and sauté until tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add fresh thyme. In a blender, mix the white truffle oil with the black trumpet mushrooms purée until it forms a paste.
Combine the cremini mushrooms with the cooked penne and pour the white truffle paste over. Toss well to combine and garnish with Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley, and scallions.