- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 or 3 strips orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 large ripe but firm peaches, preferably freestone*
- 1 cup blueberries or blackberries
- Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Combine the sugar, wine, water, and orange zest in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat to medium low and simmer briskly for 5–6 minutes, until syrupy. Remove from the heat and stir in the cinnamon and vanilla.
Meanwhile, rinse, halve, pit and quarter the peaches and arrange cut side up, one layer deep, in a large ovenproof serving dish. Pour the syrup over the peaches and bake for 35–45 minutes, depending on the ripeness of the peaches. Scatter the berries over the peaches about 10 minutes before the peaches are done. Remove from the oven and baste with the pan juices several times while still warm. The peaches will look a bit caramelized when done. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream or yogurt.