This recipe was contributed by The Better Bean Company.
This recipe is a protein-packed vegan alternative to your typical pasta with meat sauce. Skip the beef and use beans instead to kick the fiber, and the flavor, up a notch!
- 1 Cup Cuban spiced black beans, preferably Better Bean Cuban Black Beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 baby bella mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- One 16-ounce box penne pasta
- One 24-ounce jar jar Marinara sauce
- 4 Ounces vegan mozzarella cheese (or Parmesan if non-vegan)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Cook pasta accordingly.
Heat oil in skillet, then add chopped garlic, onion and mushrooms.
Cook ingredients for about 5 minutes on medium.
Add Marinara to skillet, then add the Cuban Black Beans and stir.
Let this cook for about 5 more minutes.
For each serving, place one quarter of the cooked pasta in a bowl, and top with one quarter of the sauce and cheese to taste. Makes 4 servings.