- 1 pound pasta
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium onion, peeled, quartered
- 1 celery stalk, quartered
- 1 small carrot, peeled, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 Cup cabernet sauvignon, preferably Epicurious Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Freshly grated Parmesan (for serving)
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente; drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, process onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped.
Heat oil in a large skillet over high. Add chopped vegetables, beef, and pork and cook, breaking up with a spatula, until meat is beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, oregano, 3/4 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring constantly, until reduced by half, about 1 minute more. Stir in tomato sauce, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
Remove from heat, then stir in butter. Toss meat sauce with pasta, top with Parmesan, and season with pepper.
Let sauce cool, then chill in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.