- 2 1/4 Pounds pounds well-trimmed boneless beef chuck shoulder or top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, preferably sweet, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes in juice, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 Cup each: dry white wine, water
- 1 medium baking potatoes, peeled if desired, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 Tablespoons each: sugar, sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 Teaspoon each: salt, caraway seed, pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground red pepper
- 12 Ounces reduced-calorie sour cream or non-fat plain yogurt
- Minced parsley
Brown beef cubes in oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add onion and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add tomatoes, beef broth, tomato paste, wine, water, potatoes, carrots, sugar, paprika, salt, caraway seed, pepper, bay leaves and red pepper.
Heat to a boil; reduce heat.
Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
Discard bay leaves.
To serve, ladle into serving bowls and top with sour cream or yogurt.
Garnish with parsley.