There's nothing quite like a perfectly seared piece of meat. Here, lamb shoulder chops are pan-seared until golden brown on both sides and topped with a sweet-spicy salsa whose main star is a summertime favorite: apricot.
See all salsa recipes.
- 2 bone-in, 1 1/2-inch-thick lamb shoulder chops (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 Pound ripe apricots, pitted and diced finely
- 1 Cup finely diced tomato
- 1/2 Cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 Cup finely diced onion
- 2 dried bird's-eye (aka Thai) chile peppers, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 Teaspoons dried oregano
Remove the chops from the refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature.
Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, combine the apricots, tomato, cilantro, onion, and chiles. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, stir well to combine, and set aside.
Heat the oil in a skillet large enough to accommodate the chops over high heat until almost smoking. Season the chops on both sides with salt and pepper, to taste, and the dried oregano. Add the lamb chops and cook until a golden brown crust forms, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook the other side 5 more minutes.
Remove from the heat and let rest at least 10 minutes. Top with the salsa and serve immediately.