This recipe uses a marinade of sambal paste and lemongrass. Once you have the sambal on hand you can create many delicious spicy meals, like this pan-grilled rockfish fillet in banana leaf with okra and angle beans. This recipe uses rockfish, but you can opt for skate wing, stingray, or any mildly flavored fish.
*Note: Dried shrimps (optional) if using, stir in with the sambal paste.
- 4 pieces of banana leaves, divided
- Peanut oil, for greasing the banana leaf
- 8 Tablespoons sambal paste with lemongrass, divided
- 3 Tablespoons dried shrimps, soaked, optional, to serve
- 4 pieces of rockfish fillets, divided
- 6 okra, sliced, divided
- 4-5 angle beans, sliced, divided
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced, divided
- Sea salt, to taste
- Calamansi limes
- Rice, cooked, to serve
Place two banana leaves on a hot cast-iron pan and grease with peanut oil. Place two tablespoons of sambal paste in the center of the banana leaf and spread it around. Place 2 pieces of fish fillet over the sambal paste and let it cook briefly, about a minute. Then cover the pan with a lid. Once the fish is cooked on one side, about 4 to 5 minutes, remove the lid and use a spatula to turn the fish over. Scatter the prepared vegetables all over the fish and top it with extra sambal (about 2 tablespoons).
Cover the pan again for another 4 to 5 minutes, stir the vegetables around, and season with salt and calamansi juice. Serve warm with steamed rice.
Repeat with the second half of the ingredients.