Ryan Artim, executive chef at Temple Orange, located in The Ritz-Carlton, Palm Beach, brings us this recipe for a delicious crab and corn chowder.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups white onion, diced finely
- 4 cups celery, diced finely
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups crab stock
- 6 cups heavy cream
- 6 cups whole corn kernels, off the cob
- 6 cups Idaho potatoes, diced finely
- 8 ounces crab knuckles, preferably stone crab
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and celery, and cook until translucent. Next, add the flour and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes. Do not allow the flour to brown, as this will change the color and thickness of the final product.
Add the crab stock and heavy cream, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the corn and potatoes. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through. Remove from heat and mix in the crab. (Do not add the crab if not serving immediately; instead add just before reheating the chowder and serving.)
Taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper, if needed. Serve.