- 2 loaves French bread 3/4-inch cubes (12 cups)
- 1/2 lb. sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Cup chopped celery
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ Cup oyster Sauce
- 2/3 Cups finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 18 oysters, shucked, drained, and chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 1/4 Cups low-sodium chicken broth
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain, reserving fat in skillet.
If bacon renders less than 1/4 cup fat, add enough oil to skillet to total 1/4 cup fat. Cook onions, celery, thyme, garlic, and pepper in fat in skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bread cubes, then stir in bacon, parsley, butter, oyster sauce and oysters. Drizzle with stock, then season with salt and pepper and toss well.
Add to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the stuffing has reached desired doneness.