Orzo and shiitake mushrooms, simmered in chicken broth and herbs, make for an easy side dish that pairs well with just about anything.
This recipe is courtesy of Maria Zoitas, creator of the "Maria's Homemade" line of prepared foods sold at Westside Market NYC.
See all mushroom recipes.
- 4 Ounces olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced thinly
- 1 Pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 48 Ounces chicken broth
- 1 Pound orzo
- 2 Teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 2 Teaspoons chopped thyme
- 2 Teaspoons tomato paste
- 4 Ounces crushed tomatoes
Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a sauté pan. Add the onion and sauté for about 5-7 minutes, then add the mushrooms, and sauté for 5 more minutes. Add the chicken broth and the remaining ingredients and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Serve hot.