Orange Flan Tart
Enjoy this citrus infused flan on a hot summer day!
2 large thin-skinned oranges
2 tbs honey
½ cup water
1 cup milk
1 vanilla pod
2 egg yolks
1 tbs caster sugar
2 egg whites
1 cup flour
1/3 cup butter
¼ cup caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tsp water
- Wash oranges and cut into thin rings, keep the peel on.
- Soak overnight in honey and water.
- Next day place oranges in a pan and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Drain and cool, reserving syrup.
- While the pastry is baking (below), make a simple custard:
- Heat the milk with the vanilla pod.
- Allow to just boil.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar in a large bowl.
- Pour the hot milk over the egg yolks whisking vigorously.
- When completely mixed in, return to the pan.
- Stir over a low heat for 6-10 minutes until the mixture thickens sufficiently to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove vanilla pod and let cool slightly.
- Beat the egg white until stiff and gently fold into the custard.
- Spread on the bottom of the flan case.
- Chill for about ½ an hour.
- Overlap orange slices on top.
- Add sugar to ½ cup honey juice and heat gently until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to boil and cook until syrupy consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Use this to glaze the oranges and pastry.
- Serve chilled.
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar.
- Bind together with egg yolk and water to form a firm dough.
- Roll out and use to line a 20 cm fluted flan tin.
- Fill centre with greaseproof paper and baking beans.
- Bake blind in a moderately hot oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove greaseproof paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes, until golden in colour.