One Pot Meatball Orzo & Broccoli Rabe Casserole
The joys of a single pot recipe are hard to summarize. Well, that’s not quite true, these words make most of us very happy. This recipe turns super-convenient, frozen meatballs into a creamy, slightly cheesy main dish, complete with the vegetables built right in. You could use other vegetables, such as broccoli or asparagus in place of the broccoli rabe if you’d like, and you can keep changing the dish up with the seasons.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 Cups roughly chopped broccoli rabe
- 1/2 Teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 16 Ounces orzo
- 4 Cups less-sodium chicken stock
- 26 Ounces frozen Rosina Homestyle Meatballs (or Italian/Turkey)
- 1/2 Cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic, broccoli rabe, hot pepper flakes, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the broccoli rabe is crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer the broccoli rabe to a plate. 2. Return the pot to medium high heat, add the remaining tablespoon olive oil, and then add the onions. Sautee the onions for 2 minutes, then add the orzo. Cook, stirring frequently until the orzo turns lightly golden and is coated with the oil, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and the frozen meatballs, stir, cover and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat to keep the liquid at a simmer, partially cover the pot, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the meatballs are cooked through and the orzo is tender and has absorbed almost all of the liquid. Stir in the cooked broccoli rabe and the Parmesan, and serve hot, with extra Parmesan on the side for sprinkling.