Old-Fashioned Peanut Butter Cups
You can never get too old for peanut butter cups. What better treat to make than these for your friends and kids?
- 1 Cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 Cup all-natural creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 Cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Cups dark chocolate or semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/4 Cup shortening
In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, light brown sugar, butter, and vanilla. Cover and set aside.
Over a double-boiler on medium heat, melt the chocolate morsels and add the shortening. Gently stir with a whisk until well-combined. You can also melt the 2 ingredients in a microwave. Line a muffin tin with 2-inch foil muffin cups.
Drop a rounded teaspoon of peanut butter mixture into each cup then top each with 2 teaspoons of the melted chocolate mixture. Refrigerate overnight until set.
Option: Sprinkle toasted sliced almonds atop the peanut butter cups for added texture and crunch.