- 20 Brussels sprouts, halved
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1/4 Cup chopped and cooked bacon
- 2 Teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 Cup chicken stock
- 3 Tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 Tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the halved Brussels sprouts for approximately 3 minutes, so that they are cooked through but not mushy. Remove the sprouts from the boiling water and place into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain. The Brussels sprouts should be tender and bright green.
Next, melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the bacon and sugar; continue cooking for another 30 seconds or until the sugar melts and begins to turn a caramel color. Add the Brussels sprouts and deglaze with the chicken stock. Reduce by 1/2. Add the mustard, vinegar, and thyme. Stir to combine. Serve immediately.